Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic (slightly)
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 98 12:50:48 -0500

Ken Wilcox wrote

>BTW-What is wrong with including half the court in the shot?

Most of us who shoot sports like the shots to be very tight and show the
key action/emotion and nothing else. This makes the photo "read" much
quicker.  The best photos are when you catch the players either fouling
heavily, or loosing the ball, or creating some other mistake, or when
they are doing some very intense thing with their face, ex: Michael
Jordan bites his tongue when concentrating on making the last second game
winning shot (of course he bites his tongue all the time, but it adds a
bit of intensity to the image).

I have made one good action image at basket ball with a 20 mm lens and
this was when a North Carolina player was diving out of bounds literally
on top of me for a loose ball in a game against Ga. Tech the year Tech
went to the final 4.  The player was full frame, so you can imagine how
close he was to me.  Made a nice different perspective.  This is why I
always keep a wide lens ready to shoot when shooting sports, if you are
going to eat it any way you may as well get a nice frame off before
getting slammed.

As in any photography the thing that "makes" the photo is emotion,
action, and use of light.  If you can combine nice light with a strong
emotion, and use the light to enhance the emotion and you have some kind
of action, (or lack of action--which can be telling depending on your
subject) you will have a strong image as long as it is large enough in
the frame to "read".  Too loose and you lose the impact.  Also, IMO, it
is better to have it tight on the film than to crop the negative to be
tight.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto