Subject: [Leica] Old vs new 'R' Lenses
From: James Burris <jabu@direct.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:57:03 -0800

	I would like some help identifying which R series lens versions have
remained approximately the same over time, and which have greatly improved.
 ie. I plan to purchase older versions of Leica R lenses, and I would like
to know which are the best, and if there are any I should avoid.  One such
example, I have heard that the early versions of the 180 f2.8 R were not
worth their price.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

	I would also like to add that I was talking to a fellow long-time Nikon
user like myself and we are both planning to switch over to Leica.  Why?
Not because Leica's lenses are that much sharper but for the intangibles
that the Leica lenses have.  These, at least for me, include:  build
quality, DOF scales, color rendition (a big one for both of us), and pride
of ownership.  I admit the last one is VERY intangible, but I liken Nikon
vs Leica to choosing between Lexus vs Mercedes.  It isn't just about how it
performs, it's about heritage.  I dunno, maybe I'm just nuts.

	Lastly, I wouldn't mind picking up one of those high-end point and shoots
like the Minilux.  I would appreciate any comments about the quality of the
pictures these cameras produce (esp. the Minilux).  Also, I'd like to know
how well it performs against Leica slr lenses.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

James