Subject: Re: [Leica] Gitzo ball head in Chasseur d'Images
From: j.leonarddesigner@videotron.ca (Jacques Leonard designer)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 21:40:17 -0400

>I had said I was going to replace my Gitzo ball head but the Arca Swiss B1
>is so expensive.  Has anyone any experience with the Novoflex MagicBall
>Heads?  They can easily tilt 90 deg to either side.  They also appear to be
>missing pan capability.
>
>Art
>
>Art Searle, W2NRA, w2nra@erols.com, Lake Grove, Long Island, NY, USA
>20 miles east of Nikon USA, 70 miles east of Leica USA

Hello Mr.Searle
I am the one who first asked the question about the Gitzo Ball head.
I had seen a quite complete test of tripods and ball heads in a French
magazine last month.
I had noticed their best buy was a Gitzo but did not remember the model number.
Concerning the Novoflex MagicBall, they said it was a great design (wich I
must agree, at least visually!) but was somewhat fragile for the price.
This is the only comment I remember.
Maybe some of our European Lugers have tried it.
In the last Shutterbug, Calumet is advertising a new version of the
Novoflex MagicBall.
This new one is smaller and less expensive.
Maybe this one would do fine for Leica cameras wich are not that heavy.
I sure would like to try one myself.

Jacques Leonard
designer
j.leonarddesigner@videotron.ca