Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic - Economics 101
From: "usinet.srlond" <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 14:09:26 -0500

>I recently had to send back three M6's due to cosmetic
>flaws.  Although the replacements are fine, they still lack the precision and
>ultimate finish of my Contax G2's and SLR's.

Apples to oranges...  For example, the G2 uses electronics in its
rangefinder system which are much easier to calibrate than a mechanical
optical rangefinder with hundreds of parts.  It is a shame that your M6's
had flaws, but you cannot dispute the fact that the G1/2 has its share of
design/production issues.  There are widespread complaints of focusing
difficulties and error with the 90mm Sonnar.   No camera, or product for
that matter, is completely perfect.

>Every commentator I have read notes that the chrome finish on the M6 is
>not as good as the M6.

You can say that again...

>A couple of years ago Popular Photography did a feature on
>the M6.  They noted that while the M6 quality is high, it is not as good as
>the M2, M3 or M4.  The engraving is not as good.  The finish of the internal
>gears is not as good.

I read the article, and many people on the LUG are aware of the tradeoffs
that Leica has been forced to make in the design and execution of the M6,
such as the replacement of plastic parts in the frame counter mechanism
to save cost and weight.  It would be wonderful if Leica (and its
customers) could afford a completely no-compromise camera... but would
you buy a $6,000 M6?  I wouldn't...

>I have not heard anyone who disputes this.  Leica makes
>excellent cameras, but they are not alone.  Others have standards that are
>just as high.

Some have standards as high, but I think that it is clear that the
mainstream camera makers such as Canon and Nikon clearly make far more
compromises on their designs, than Leica.  Canon has adopted plastic
internal frames on all cameras but the N1/N1RS.  They have even put
plastic mounts on many lenses and cameras.  It makes the fact that the M6
might have two adjustment screws rather than three (as the Pop Photo
article pointed out) seem rather trivial.

I am thrilled with my M6.  It seems to me that Leica has found quite a
favorable price/design balance in both the M6 as in their other products.
 Many other people seem to agree, as Leica's sales figures suggest.