Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic - Economics 101
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 12:43:00 EST

<< We are not speaking of the quality of Japanese products:  we are speaking
 of the engineering parameters to which the products are built >>

Japenese enginnering is second to none.  Look at their automobiles.  Look at
AF SLR's.  Look at optics and process controls and machines for microchip
manufacturing.  Look at industrial design.  They were the ones who led the
world in development of systems for quality.  Quality is not simply a result
of manufacturing control.  In today's world, engineering is part of overall
quality.  There is no bright line distinction between engineering and
manufacturaing anymore.  That distinction is fast disappearing.

The engineering pararmenters are as high for the top end Japanese products, as
they are for top end German or American products.  In the past, the
engineering or quality standards for Germany were higher than for Japan.  This
is no longer true.  I recently had to send back three M6's due to cosmetic
flaws.  Although the replacements are fine, they still lack the precision and
ultimate finish of my Contax G2's and SLR's.

Things progess and change.  What was true 20 years ago is not necessarily true
today.  Those who sit on their laurels will fade away.

It was Lexus who served as the example to push Mercedes out of its complacency
in the 80's.  Now look - Mercedes has done an excellent job in catching up and
they can now match Lexus in quality.  I hope Leica pushes ahead instead of
sitting on the bench.  The M6HM is a good sign.  Their new lenses are
wonderful.

Every commentator I have read notes that the chrome finish on the M6 is not as
good as the M6.  A couple of years ago Popular Photography did a feature on
the M6.  They noted that while the M6 quality is high, it is not as good as
the M2, M3 or M4.  The engraving is not as good.  The finish of the internal
gears is not as good.  I have not heard anyone who disputes this.  Leica makes
excellent cameras, but they are not alone.  Others have standards that are
just as high.