Subject: [Leica] Re: [Leica ] environmental stuff
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 12:16:47 -0800

At 04:04 AM 2/1/98 -0500, Dan C. wrote:

>I use UV filter 100% of the time.  I NEVER SEE
>ANY EVIDENCE THAT THEY ARE ON MY LENS.  I put them there to protect them.
>I don't want to see eny effect of the filter in my pictures.  And after 10
>years of using my M6 (and 30 years of using other camera makes), I haven't.
> If a lens such as my 90 tele-elmarit, which is prone to flare, is pointed
>into the sun, I will get flare, with or without a filter.  With a lens like
>my 75 Summilux, I never see flare, regardless of where I point it.  But
>I'll be damned if I'm going to let tree sap, and other environmental shit
>cover the surface of my $2000 Summilux, as it periodically does to the $50
>filter I have sitting in front of it.
>
>Dan C.

Dan,

If you have a UV filter on your lens 100% of the time, how do you know that
your 90 is prone to flare with or without a filter? Also, please tell us
how tree sap and other environmental "shit" manages to zero-in on only your
front lens element (filter in your case) ? Seems to me like it would be all
over your camera as well. Getting tree sap and environmental "shit" off of
a lens element is easy. Getting it out of an f/stop ring or shutter speed
dial or rewind crank or lens release would be a real problem. The filter
you are using on your $2000 Summilux must be a tree sap and environmental
"shit" magnet. So instead of all that environmental "shit" hitting all over
your camera, that filter sucks it all on to itself. Very clever. You could
start a new business. I want one for my car.

Dan, I couldn't resist. If you re-read your post, you left yourself open.
Remember, we all love each other here so a little fun now and again would
seem OK.  :-)  I hope.

Also Dan, please by all means use your photographic equipment the way that
makes you happy and produces the best pictures for you. I know you are a
great photographer. I've looked at some of your work. My intention was
never to get anybody to do something they don't want to do. I have some
very strong convictions, as do you. I'm simply expressing my opinions and
if contradicted, I'll continue my argument. As will you.

My point is that most filters over the years are either not coated or
single coated. Even newer multicoated filters aren't remotely as good as
your lens coating. A prime lens coating will do a much better job of
suppressing artifacts than a filter coating will.

Jim