Subject: Re: [Leica] newbie on the list
From: Doc748@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 16:50:06 EST

In a message dated 98-02-01 07:34:24 EST, smhickel@x2.alliance.net writes:

<<
 Javier,

 Let's presume that you bike is a BMW, what else except a German camera on a
 German Bike. My guess would be you are going to or are using a tank bank. I
 would also presume that the cameras would be nestled in and amongst some
 soft clothing in the tank bag. My guess would be that you would not have
 any problem, if that is the case. BUT, if you put them in the saddle bags,
 I believe they will receive more vibration there. A good friend who had a
 PHd in Vibrational Mechanics once told me, "Vibrate something long enough,
 it will break."

 Steve

 PS.

 I lived in London just shy of a year. Loved it there. I did find that
 cameras and VAT were expensive. As a tourist you probably were rebated or
 didn't pay the VAT. But the dollar is much stronger now, isn't it?

Steve,

Thank you very much for the info.  Yes, you are right on on the type of
motorcycle.  The one I use for long trips is the BMW R1100GS, although for
around town I ride the Ducati 748.  And yes, I will be carrying the babies on
a protected wrap or something to that effect.

Regarding VAT, as a non EC citizen, you get back approximately 15% of the
purchase amount.  The exchange rate fluctuated between $1.60 and $1.63 (when
the Clinton scandal broke).

Javier