Subject: [Leica] Bracketing
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 22:56:54 -0500

Harrison wrote;

<<<<just won't cut it when the editor asks why you don't have a slightly
darker image.  Also, judging exposure is purely subjective, what I like
may be too dark for you and may be to light for someone else.  It is all
in how we perceive the world and what our experiences are that color our
judgments.>>>>>>

Harrison,

I like to use the example of an assignment shot in Japan many years ago by
Paul Fusco for LOOK magazine as an example of bracketing and shooting.

In the short period of time Paul worked he exposed sufficient film that the
semi-final cut came down to some 9000 plus images,  of which only 8 were
published to illustrate the story. And if you take that back into the early
70's that was a pile of film!  But the 8 images were just something else!
Breath taking!

Now we are going to have some folks here, who have never done a documentary
or a major photo essay say, "well anybody can get 8 great pictures out of
9000 frames!" WRONG!  Even if you are using Leica M or R!

I believe one of the great lessons of film exposure and meters, even in the
R8, which by the way I have found to be absolutely astounding.  As well as
the M6 meter which I use religiously.  That is, to spin the ring a few
times and lay the frames out on a light table and see how slide film reacts
to a wide degree of exposure. Certainly what happens to create some awesome
images that many do not think possible.

There are those who follow their Leica MR meter, the M6 or R whatever model
right to the tee and have never used those readings in any other fashion
than the "perfect exposure", instead of merely a start point guide.

When I shoot transparency film I always bracket, if the situation allows
that luxury. It doesn't always, but I try always!  Even with the R8 where I
have come to trust the meter explicitly for a correct exposure, I bracket
simply because one never knows what a slide is going to look like until
it's on the light table.

Yep some of the LUGGERS are going to come back and say, "Sure I know what
my images will look like, as I preconceive them and plan the shot
perfectly." :)

And yes, the moon is made of green pepper cheese! :)

I believe this thread started from the fact that HCB shot 3 rolls of film
on Portugal for a magazine. Well I guess that is possible for a few
photographers, HCB being the Master. But I have a hard time believing that
the ultimate image of a country can be derived in 3 rolls. Unless those
three rolls are shot over a period of 6 months or longer!

Of course if one were to compare Canada to Portugal I'd have a hard time
trying to do Canada in 3 rolls! But then HCB came here and left with
nothing to count in his most renowned images. Even with his Leica!

But then that's the image of us easy going Canadians eh? :)

With transparency film, braketing is as essential as putting film in the
camera and anybody who says otherwise, "Well OK!" :)

ted