Subject: RE: [Leica] Contax/Zeiss
From: "John Brubaker" <photoman@novagate.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 22:07:54 -0500

Bud - This quote from the Contax Web site will answer your question:

CONTAX represents a trade name that is owned by CARL ZEISS. CARL ZEISS began
as a German company in 1846. Today CARL ZEISS is the pre-eminent optical
company in the world, with more than 30,000 employees around the world.

In 1970 CARL ZEISS decided to withdraw from the camera manufacturing
industry. They closed the legendary ZEISS IKON WORKS so that they could
concentrate on optical production. Camera body production was given over to
Yashica, an advanced designer and builder of electronic system cameras. In
1975, the first new generation CONTAX camera arrived, it was called the
CONTAX RTS. CARL ZEISS has retained the CONTAX name and they continue to
build CARL ZEISS lenses for the CONTAX.

Further, CARL ZEISS has, over the years, shifted much of their lens
production to Japan. These lenses are CARL ZEISS lenses in every way, they
just happen to be made in Japan. The country of origin information states
the following: "This lens is made by CARL ZEISS FOUNDATION of Federal
Republic of Germany, in Japan."