Subject: RE: [Leica] Magnum Book ??
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk (Jeremy Kime)
Date: 02 Feb 98 17:06:00 GMT

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the Magnum biography.
It's a great read, collated from many sources and made, seemingly, almost
begrudgingly with Magnum's assistance, it tells the stories of the four
founders origins, coming together, falling out and struggling on, from one
cash crisis to another. Always concerned more with their unique perspective
on the way that they (the members) view their photographic work, over and
above the bottom line of profit making. Fascinating stories of how Gene
Smith almost bankrupted the agency and also the ongoing rivalry between the
NY and Paris offices.
It's printed by Martin, Secker, Warburg over here in Britain, which is now
part of Random House, price here, 15UKP.
Very text heavy, few photos, but the book paints pictures for you. At the
end of each chapter there are short i/vs with Magnum luminaries, eg. Marc
Riboud, Eve Arnold etc. these are a bit mystifying for the fact that they're
in different type and unexplained as being distinct from the (chronological)
story but entertaining nonetheless.

Jem