Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-topic: what b/w films should I use?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 11:11:05 -0500

Tmax 400 CN is based on the new Ektacolor Gold films with T-grain; It has an
orange mask to make it easier to print on color paper. Our problem with B&W
films on color paper is that wide variation in exposures required to print
B&W negatives. This means that the slopes of the three emulsion layers of
color paper respond differently to different exposures. Thus with over
exposed negs we might tent to get bluish prints, and underexposed negs yield
'sepia' colored prints.
Since Tmax400CN is based on a color film, the slopes print well on color
paper. It does require a B&W paper like Panalure to do justice to the negs,
since they are masked.
T Max 400 B&W film (Tmin 400, as we call it) also prints well on the color
paper. It is unmasked, but does mot have the magenta colored base that
Ilford XP2 has.
dwpost@msn.com