Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutters
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 23:15:43 -0500

Donal:

At the risk of sounding superficial. The chrome/titanium finish on the G
cameras is a deal breaker for me. I think if I could buy a black one and
black lenses (not a collectors edition) I'd give it serious consideration.
Even then, the lack of any mechanical way to confirm focus is a serious
problem for professional photography. I had a Mamiya 6 rangefinder go on
the whack, but I could tell it was off because I always check the distanc=
every so often to assure things are making sense. I changed bodies and
missed only a few frames. With the G cameras, how would you know?

But you=92re right, what I'm describing is a Leica G2 in every way with a
manual rangefinder and an M mount. I'm only really in it for the lenses.

Tom

At 10:28 AM 2/3/98 -0800, you wrote:
>It does make you wonder if the Contax G2 will fill this gap.  Imagine a
>RF camera, fairly (to be honest) quiet, motor drive (4 fps), good enough
>meter for neg film, takes Contax top of line smart flashes with dial
>down compensation, rear curtain sync and wonderful lenses.  And priced
>low enough that you can have multiple bodies and lenses and still eat. =20
>
>donal
>
>Thomas Kachadurian wrote:
>>=20
>> Ted:
>>=20
>> Because of recent developments in film quality, 35mm is quickly becomi=
ng
>> the format of choice for wedding photographers. Leica Ms could own tha=
>> market if they had a flash sync at 250th and even a slow motor. I hate=
>> rain on the Leica parade, but any company will take a new market.
>>=20
>> Tom
>>=20
>> At 06:20 PM 2/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> ><<<I understand that one of the new M's Leica has been considering is=
>> >Leica ME with an electronic shutter.>>>>>
>> >
>> >Tom,
>> >
>> >Why would they even consider it? It ain't broke so don't mess with it=
!

>> >I can't imagine why they'd waste R&D money on something that if it do=
esn't
>> >have any power it just sits there like a rock.
>> >
>> ><<<<An electronic shutter would change that.  On the other hand, an
>> >electronic shutter would be much more accurate and would have a highe=
>> >maximum speed and a higher synch speed.>>>>>>
>> >
>> >Well how much more accurate do you want the M6? 100% of the owners ca=
>> >shoot very accurate images properly exposed the way it is. I wouldn't=
 want
>> >to jeopardize the camera operating just for 1/1000 of a nano second m=
ore
>> >precise exposure! That the eye could hardly recognize.
>> >
>> >And the number of people who use an M6 and flash must be very nearly
>> >infinitesimal. It's almost heresy to use flash with the thing!  I kno=
some