Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutters
From: "usinet.srlond" <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 03:13:30 -0500

>The G2 is a gimmick, or the black model would be the same price as any
>other.

Following that logic, you can also conclude that the M6 is a gimmick,
given the production of the M6J (a camera whose viewfinder arrangement
carried a hefty premium until quite recently) or the spectrum of
"collectibles" with cheezy red leather and custom engraving which are
happily produced by the factory for anybody with the money and the
inclination to place an order.  Despite these pricey variations, the M6
is a serious camera enjoyed by serious photographers in a manner similar
to the G2.

>Besides it's an AF viewfinder camera. It doesn't have a rangefinder.

Actually, the G2 is a rangefinder.  You can see the rangefinder windows
on the front of the camera.  Check out www.contaxcameras.com for more
information.

While the G2 is similar to the M cameras only in their designations as
rangefinders, they are often compared directly.  A direct comparison
ignores the subtlety of each design and its niche market.  There are
situations in which I would never dream of using my G2 (extreme low-light
photography, when silence and discretion are an issue), while the same
goes for my M6 (fast moving subjects, when a motor drive is needed).  As
many wise men and women on this group have concluded in regards to the M
vs. R discussion, the key is knowing when to use each camera.  Just as an
M is outclassed when it comes to long lenses, so is an R out of place
when it comes to ultra-pocketability and wide-angle lenses.  The same
distinction should be made between the G2 and the M6, two very good, but
also very different cameras.