Subject: Re: [Leica] R3 Safari (was: Give it up?)
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 07:21:27 -0500

I bought mine about 3 months ago for $995 with a Safari 50 Summilux. I
don't know if Leica still supports it or not. With used R3 bodies selling
for as little as $250 it should be easy to find one to! take parts from.

kw

>Speaking of the Safari, I had a chance to buy one w/50mm lens
>about 10 years ago and passed it up because I was wary of the
>R3's electronics.
>
>The olive green is so beautiful I still think of getting one from
>time to time, but, as this would be a camera I would actually use,
>does Leica still support it?  Would they (could they) repair dead
>electronics, assuming the parts were still available?
>
>I keep seeing the one advertised by Samy's in Shutterbug ($4000
>for the kit), which seems high even for a Safari.  Don Chatterton
>told me he hasn't sold one in years and advised me to buy an R3
>and paint it green.
>
>-Dave

- ----
Davison Middle School                  preferred--->
<wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
600 Dayton, Davison, MI 48423                  <kwilcox@genesee.freenet.org>