Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #143
From: "David Freedman" <dpfreedman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 10:04:35 -0500

Lucien;

My impression is that the R8 winder is certainly no faster than the R4-7
winder (I have one of these as well) and, sadly, may in fact be a touch
slower. At least that's how it "feels" (I hear the voice in my head urging
it on every time I press the shutter). If I had a sacrificial roll of
Seattle Film Works finest, I'd run it through both cameras to determine
which is the tortoise and which the crippled tortoise.  One other thing, the
new winder really isn't any quieter than my old winder. Ergonomically, it's
a success; adds little weight and bulk and I think the camera nestles better
in the hands with winder attached.  The real ergonomic breakthrough (IMHO)
will come with the motor which will finally allow the camera to be grasped
without the neckstrap mounting eyes getting in the way.

Early winder verdict ? All things considered, I like it.