Subject: Re: [Leica] What exactly is a Leitz Ic enlarger?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 21:53:06 -0600

At 10:16 AM 2/8/98 -0500, you wrote:

>develop the negatives to secure reasonable contrast with the V model.  It
>is my opinion the V is just not as robust as the Ic.  At $450.00 and your

The V35 is as robust as any enlarger. It's as tough as a tank. Just because
it has some plastic on the swinging arm doesn't mean inside it's not tough.
I owned one for quite a while, and it held up just fine. But the 1C price
is certainly tempting.

As far as contrast, it's a matter of perspective. No matter which enlarger
you use, if you use condenser light, as in the IC, you have to lessen
development time. If you use a softer light, like in the V35, you need to
increase development a bit. Most art photographers I've read about seem to
prefer the softer light, such as in the V35 and many "cold light" enlarger
heads. Less chance of "soot and chalk" tones as Ansel Adams used to say.
(Though I think that problem is more over-blown than truly necessary.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

There's no such thing as nonexistence.