Subject: [Leica] Re: Macro Question
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 08:39:12 -0800

Jim Brick's response:
"If you stand and look
through your 100mm and observe the DOF, then replace the 100mm with a 50mm
and physically move up toward your subject until the frame you see through
the 50, is the same as you saw it through the 100, what you see will have
the same DOF."

If the subject is the *same size* in the viewfinder, regardless of which
lens your are using, the DOF is the same.

Frank's Conclusion: Use the wider angle lens and move in on the subject.
Using a fixed output ring flash at a closer distance, will throw more light
( square law) which will allow smaller F-stops, thus more DOF for the same
image size.  Big win for me....   Downside: the perspective will change.

"Since the DOF will be the same, with any lens, for the same image size,
choose the 100mm APO Macro. It's one of the most outstanding lenses ever
produced."

thanks Jim for the help.... I think I know which way I will lean.....

Thank You
Remove "ZZ" form auto reply address or
please reply to address below:

Frank Filippone