Subject: Re: [Leica] Above AF
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 09:35:00 -0800

Eric,
One of my major complaints with Nikon is the aperture ring.  Every lens
I have or have had from Nikon was/is sticky and hard to bracket.  Really
frustrating.  At least with the N90 you can quickly bracket with the
shutter speed, though it is an annoyance not to be able to bracket in
1/2 stop increments.  I just bracket in 2/3 stops, but usually that is
more than I want.  Given the sophisticated electronics in new Nikons,
selection should have been easy, even if you had to use the completer
connection or whatever.  The R8s 1/2 stop and easy to use shutter speed
dial is a major advantace, plus the lenses are usually silky smooth and
easy to bracket with.

I have an old 35mm summicron with the little bitty tab for an aperture
control.  It was fine when I shot only BW, but with color's need for
bracketing, it is a major hindrance for quick shooting.

donal

Eric Welch wrote:
>  But with the F5 yoiu see the
> apterure readout in the viewfinder, because you're controlling it with the
> camera, not the ring on the lens.
>
> Now you may ask why is this good and why would Leica want to do this? With
> ROM lenses, as it has been reported, you have more precise control over the
> aperture. So 1/3 stop increments could be controlled by the camera. And the
> difference between the N90S and F5 Nikons would be the same with Leica. The
> F5 can control the aperture down to 1/3 stops, and the N90 can't. Heck,
> Nikon lenses don't even have 1/2 stop detents.
>
> So Leicas of the future could make good use of electronic control of the
> aperture for more precise control. Isn't that the name of the game? Who
> cares how the aperture is controlled, as long as it gives you better
> pictures? (Which I imply from better control.)
>
> I will admit I like controlling the aperture the old fashioned way. That's
> what I'm used to, but it didn't take long to get used to the F5's way of
> doing it, and actually becomes faster and better with a bit of practice. So
> if it gives me more precise exposure with Leica, so be it!

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego
http://www.donalphilby.com