Subject: [Leica] Leica Quality Control
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 17:56:35 -0800

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

When I went through the Leica factory tour in Solms in 1995, I was
impressed by what I saw.  Instead of grinding multiple lens elements of the
same curve and type at the same time, Leica was using the surfacing
machines to make one lens at a time.  The reason given was that this was
the only way they could assure quality control.  This is the slowest way to
make lens elements.

The factory tour guide made a very interesting point that each finished
lens and camera are hand tested.  Not a few tested from each batch - but
each and every piece.  Watching employees paint the edges black of lens
elements was very impressive.  It is painstakingly slow work.  All the
assembly was done by hand.  You could watch the technicians work with
wooden trays that held the lens elements.

I wonder if this is still done or if increased production now requires less
attention to detail.  It seems that the end user now becomes the final
quality inspector.  If you don't like what you see, reject it and try
another.  With supply sometimes limited and demand high, it is hard to get
an immediate replacement if you don't accept what is delivered to you.

My newest M6 was purchased with the vertical alignment off in the
rangefinder.  I needed a second boy at the time.  Now that I've had it for
6 months, I'll send it off to Lica in New Jersey for the necessary
adjustment.  Hopefully it is something that can be done in a hurry.

Happy Shooting,

Richard Clompus