Subject: [Leica] Leica Quality Control
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:31:13 -0800

Ian,

Sorry to hear about the Leica quality problems and the frustration in
trying to just get what you initially paid for.

During the past year, I have entered into the Leica SLR system starting
with a used Leicaflex SL, followed by an R8 (Ted made me do it :-) with
winder followed by a new R 6.2 body last week.	  I have also purchased a
bunch of lenses for the R system and continue to accumulate them at a rate
that doesn't get me in too much trouble with my lovely wife of 23 years.

I am sorry to say that all the lenses and bodies have performed flawlessly.
 Bodies work every time I put film threw them.  Lenses focus and produce
some of the most beautiful pictures I have ever taken.  When visiting the
plant in Solms two years ago, the tour guide told me they inspect every
item before it leaves the plant.  Not batch analysis but every item.  Maybe
that has changed for economical reasons.

Last year, I traded in a Contax G with three lenses toward a new M6 body.
The M6 worked great except the rangefinder images were not aligned
vertically when focusing.  After sending it off to New Jersey Leica, it
came back fine.  It shouldn't have arrived that way, but it was still
usable - but annoying.

My conclusion is that a good dealer is worth their weight in gold.  What
amazes me is that the percentage profit for the dealer on a new Leica item
is very small.  Usually the profit is less than 10%.  Do you know how much
a dealer profits from selling a new Z2X Leica P&S that sells for $299 USD?
The profit before expenses is an entire $30.  That is the reason many
higher end photo dealers thrive with selling used Leica equipment - since
the mark up on used gear can be as high as 30%.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA