Subject: Re: [Leica] Jazz Photography
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 19:07:06 -0500

At 03:32 PM 05-02-98 -0500, you wrote:
>I've been asked to do some publicity shots of local jazz musicians.
>Needless to say, I am afloat in equipment.  These guys (male and female, of
>course) play in dingey bistros, so lighting may be a problem.
>Black-and-white 8x10's are to be the final product, and no flash if
avoidable.

>Any thoughts?  No, I'm not going to spring for a Noctilux for the job, but
>I do have a Summilux.  I also have a Hasselblad and a slew of Rollei gear.
>
>Marc

You can try using Kodak 2475 Recording film (EI ~ 800-1000) with your
summilux for a grainy look that should be OK up to 8x10.  Might even add a
little atmosphere to the shots.  You should be able to push TRI-X as well.
One tip I was told about photographing jazz musicians that has stuck in my
mind; always pick a vantage point so that their mouths aren't obscured by
microphones, saxaphones, etc.

Dan C.