Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Distortion
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 22:14:05 +0000

Henning,

Thanks for taking the time to write that and futher explain your thoughts.

While I do believe in you and am sure you are saying with full conviction what you
believe, I do disagree. Focal length is measured on only the central axis to the film
plane, because nodal2 to focal point distance is what is being measured. Measuring
focal length off axis would provide  an 'inaccurate' result, not because of any change
in the nodal2 to focal plane distance but, solely because the measurement was taken
from the wrong place. In my view, this again provides a proof that magnification is
variable across the field and that the variable is directly proportionate to counter the
effect of diminishing, 3D perspective.

I do, and did, understand that some distortions of rendering are caused by variable
image magnifications and since this seems to be the central point of your
conclusions, still do not see critically inarguable evidence that the image is
unchanged (via edge magnifcation/reduction) by the symmetrical lens.

It is true that pincushion/barrel distortions have a great effect on apparant
perspective and your point is well taken that I had not given enough weight to this
as an obvious difference in rendition between true wides and retrofocus versions.

I also understand that this difference could very well account for the effect in
question but it seems to me that a well corrected retrofocus has only slightly more
verifiable distortion than a symmetrical wide. If telephotos were the object of the
discussion, there's plenty of these that are distortion corrected in equivalence with
the best long focus lenses of identical focal length. These should then, image
identically, but what of the 'telephoto effect'?

I suppose it's time to look for the answers in earnest and I'm going to take some time
to find the information I need. If you have any interest in what I find, I'll be glad to
present it to you, as well as any other interested lurkers.

Thanks again and regards,
Danny Gonzalez