Subject: Re: [Leica] Advice: R3: Repair or not?
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 11:17:33 EST

<< s it worth to repair or do I better try to get another
 used Leica (e.g. R4) ?

That's a lot of Marks. I have two R-3s, two R4's a Leicaflex and an R6. I have
had no trouble with any of them. I had the oldest R3 gone over by Leica last
year. The price was $273.00. THe camera came back looking and working like
new. For me, it was worth it. R3 prices are low now so if you can find one for
$200 to $300 in good condition it would be a bargain, IMO. Also, I have found
that Leicaphiles tend to "discover" bargains in equipment which was
previouisly disdained. Take the M-3, for example.  For a long while you could
barely give them away and M-2s sold for real money. Now the coin has flipped
and M-3s are pricey while a good M-2 can be bouth for about $600.00
I think the same is/will be true of the R-3 although not to such an extent.
THe R-3 is a big, robust camera albeit a little awkward. It mounts the Leica
lenses and is a real bargain.
Bob