Subject: Re: [Leica] Great Big puny waves. Don't want to lose any LUGnuts!
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 20:21:25 -0800

At 12:00 AM 2/8/98 -0800, you wrote:
>LUGnuts:

>I have several hundred books on sailing and seamanship and many with
>pictures of stormy seas and only one or two hurricane shots even come
>close to showing the full power and size of these beasts in the open
>ocean.
>
>Of course, I don't have enough sense to be scared and enjoyed every
>minute of it.  But the body is bruised and battered.
>
>donal

Donal,

We are happy that you are safe and warm now. I'm glad you brought up the
subject of waves. There are many LUGnuts that have never spent much time
around the ocean. Safety while photographing along the ocean is something
most people don't think about.

LUG people,

I grew up in Santa Cruz and spent a good portion of my life in and on the
ocean. On, on surf boards. In, body surfing and skin diving. One learns
very young that the ocean is an unforgiving mistress. She can seduce you
into complacency, and when you are not looking, she will take out her
revenge on you. I've personally known two people who, within just the past
ten years, were washed off the cliffs. One in Santa Cruz and one in
Monterey. Both were never found. They were not natives of the coast. They
were visitors. Over the years, there have been dozens. None, except the
recent two, known personally by me however.

For all you LUGpeople that photograph along the ocean, be aware that waves
come in sets, gradually building to a large wave, then start again. At
least this is how it works here on the US west coast. This, however, is not
the full story. Swells are built by winds thousands of miles away. Various
phenomena, other than just wind, way out there, sometimes produces a "rogue
wave". You may be photographing along the coast, watching two to three foot
swells and waves for hours. Then, out of know where, an eight or ten foot
wave will appear. Always when you are not looking. If you are near the
water, or your stuff is near the water, or on the cliffs at the edge, your
stuff is history. You might be history as well.

It is important to know whether the tide is coming in, or going out. When
coming in, you really have to be careful. It eats-up space very quickly. If
you go into a cove via the beach and the tide is coming in, you may be in
real trouble.

Leave your stuff well back from the water, just you and your tripod in
harms way. You and your tripod can run. But you won't have time to
gather-up a bunch of stuff. I'm lucky. My wife is my assistant and not only
keeps my stuff in order (ready to run) but keeps watch over the ocean. We
have run, many many times. We haven't lost anything yet as her watchful eye
spots trouble well in advance.

One eye on the camera, one eye on the ocean.

Jim