Subject: Re: [Leica] Light boxes
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 06:16:02 -0600

At 12:13 PM 08/02/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Dear Doctors of Leica -
  When I use this thing for more than about 10 minutes I begin
>to experience a headache and nausea (no, it's not from the poor quality of my
>slides).  I think the problem is either the flickering of the tubes (60
Hz) or
>the EMF radiation from the transformer, but I'm not sure which it is.

It could also be due to the colour balance of the fluorescent lights.  I
know someone who has this kind of problem in any room where fluorescent
lights are used.  In his office, he has an incandescent lamp nearby, to
warm up the colour.  Try putting an incandescent lamp near your light box
the next time you are using it for long periods of time to see if that
helps.  I know that it will reduce the colour temperature slightly when
viewing with the light box, but that may be what you need.  Switch off the
incandescent lamps momentarily when you need critical colour evaluation.
If you are using the light box more for working with B&W negatives, then
you can also change the bulbs and use slightly warmer ones, but this would
also impair your ability to evaluate colour transparencies properly, of
course.
   If you are epileptic, the stroboscopic effect you suggested may also
trigger mild seizures.  Check with your doctor ... there is medication
available to help offset this.

- -GH