Subject: Re: [Leica] Light boxes
From: Bill Godwin <newsdog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 13:06:32 -0500

John_McLeod@designlink.com wrote:

> Dear Doctors of Leica -
>
>  When I use this thing for more than about 10 minutes I begin
> to experience a headache and nausea (no, it's not from the poor quality of my
> slides).  I think the problem is either the flickering of the tubes (60 Hz) or
> the EMF radiation from the transformer, but I'm not sure which it is.

As a commercial pilot I am tested for the problem for you are experiencing.  It is
called in pilot jargon "flicker vertigo" and is caused by rapid oscillations in
light waves.  Yes, it will cause disorientation, dizziness, and nausea.  I do not
know of a cure or a way to avoid the condition.  Some doctors/scientist say it is
a mild for of epilepsy.  I am not a doctor and this is my best guess/observation.