Subject: Re: [Leica] Defect-a-go-go
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 98 21:24:20 +0100

On 09-02-1998 09:11 MyersPete@aol.com wrote:

>My new theme is "defect-a-go-go". Which simply means that I am hoping that
>the
>problems will soon be behind me and I will be moving forward to making images.
>>Pascal, thanks for your voice and a reminder of your own experience. I am
>happy to hear that your being in Belgium was no different then my experience
>here. It sounds like these defects are showing up in all markets.
>>BTW, I do not recall what happened to your R8 body that required service?
>Pray
>tell!
>(large snip)

Pete,
The defective R8 had two flaws:
- - its back wouldn't close by pushing on it as it is supposed to be doing.
You had to manually slide back the opening button on the left to do that.
Not insurmountable, but very uncomfortable and unforgivable for such an
expensive camera.
- - sometimes the back LCD panel displayed strange signs which made no
sense to me (and although this happened after vacation in the Swiss Alps,
I am sure there was no interference from the Swiss secret service...:-)
). And this was not due to dirt on the electronic contacts or so. Must
have been the electronics going bezerk.

The body was replaced by a new one two months after having handed in the
old one (and after several phone calls to the distributor without much
result and ONE E-mail to Solms which solved the matter). The new body is
now humming happily, partly thanks to the motor-winder... :-)

Pascal

PowerPC G3... listen carefully and you can hear the sound of
              Pentium chips being eaten for breakfast
Sent on a Macintosh PowerBook G3, the fastest laptop on the planet