Subject: Re: [Leica] R lenses: 60 f2.8 macro vs 100 f4 macro
From: Robert Sproul <sproul@sc.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 07:16:10 -0500

>Any thoughts on how the 60 macro and the 100f4 macro compare?  100 f2.8 is
>a little out of my financial range (darn).  I've read great things about
>the 60 here on the list, but I would prefer the 100 focal length.
>
>Thanks,
>
>James

	I use the 60 macro as a "normal" lens on my R4S. I find this useful
because I can go to a 1:2 closeup with nothing else, that is, no other
attachments. I also have the 100 f4 bellows lens and find it to be very
useful for flower closeups, etc. Yes, given the money I would have a 100
F2.8 ASPH instead! The 100mm focal length is more convenient for closeups
only because the working distance is extended somewhat. Another of my
favorite combos is a 135 f4.0 Elmarit with the 16464, focusing mount and an
extension tube. No auto diaphram makes this a bit slow, though.
	I have never regreted the purchase of the 60 macro and have been
pleased with the performance of this lens.

Robert Sproul

sproul@sc.edu