Subject: [Leica] scanning LEICA output
From: Stephen Kobrin <kobrins@wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:16:28 -0500

Having purchased a new graphics oriented computer and begun to explore all
of the mysteries of Photoshop (a bit scary), I am ready to take the final
plunge and set up the rest of my digital darkroom.  I have just about
decided -- for the tenth time -- on an Epson Stylus Photo printer but need
some advice re scanners.  I have narrowed down to either a Nikon Coolscan
II or the next model up, which I believe is the Nikon LS-1000 (?).
Questions: does anyone have experience with these two scanners?  What does
one get for the considerable difference in price?

My inclination at this point is to go with the Coolscan II, assuming that
my incompetence will overwhelm any advantages of the more expensive unit
for some time to come.  However, if the difference is really substantial, I
would spring for the LS-1000.  I plan to scan both slides and negatives
(B&W and color).  Any help would be appreciated.

On another matter, I just returned from a conference in Switzerland and
found at least two working photographers using only M6s.  One had three
hanging in various places.  He said that use of Leicas by photjournalists
was not uncommon in Europe.  In this instance, the fact that flash was
verboten may explain some of the preference for M6s rather than auto
everything SLRs.

Steve