Subject: [Leica] 2/50 Summicron R vs. 1.4/50 Nikkor shoot out
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:10:35 +0000

OK LUGnuts, I may be a Nikon/Nikkor fan as well, but I know excellence when
I see it.

Did a side-by-side test last weekend of my new (old) Leicaflex and one of
my even more ancient Fs. Exactly the same scenes; exactly the same
exposures.

Prints are now back - all processed thru the same machine at the same time.

Thought you might be interested in the following subjective appraisal:

1) Nothing to choose between them in terms of centre definition, but the
Summicron is noticeably sharper at the extreme edges (most shots were at
around f2.8 as it was a dull day).

2) Colour rendition with the Summicron is a shade warmer. Not much, but I
prefer it.

Now I have to try the same comparison with the 90/2 Summicron R (just
acquired) vs. the 85/1.8 Nikkor. I suspect that this will be a much more
close-run thing, but it'll have to wait until Valentine's Day is out of the
way.

With the longer lenses, a comparison of 'bokeh' will also be interesting.

More anon.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst