Subject: [Leica] 2/50 Summicron R vs. 1.4/50 Nikkor shoot down
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:05:54 +0000

Hi LUGgers. Jim Brick wrote:

>IMHO, I don't believe you can effectively test cameras or lenses with print
>film. You should be using slow sharp film, preferably a chrome film, and
>look at the results on a light table with a GOOD loupe. But, in your case,
>if all you shoot is print film, then you only have to satisfy yourself.

Couldn't agree more. That's why I was careful to include the words
"subjective appraisal" in my original post.

My primary interest is in creating images which please me, and, I hope,
please others.

A secondary pleasure is getting the best out of old cameras - be they
Leicas, Nikons, Rolleis or whatever. Good lenses make that a lot easier.

I'm quite happy to leave the finer points of lens testing to people like
Erwin Puts, whose posts are both comprehensive and informative.

That said, if I can see the difference on a 7 x 5 print (examined with
loupe, BTW), that's evidence enough for me.

Also BTW, do I detect an undercurrent which says roughly:

"Colour neg is for P&S geeks. Big boys use 'chromes or b/w." ;-?

I get fine results scanning and printing Kodacolor Gold 100 negs. Or, at
least, they're good enough for me and for most of my viewers.

Maybe I'll keep the comparisons of the 90/2 Summicron R and the 85/1.8
Nikkor to myself if purist reaction is likely to be 'negative'............

Yours very positively

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists