Subject: Re: [Leica] Weddings/bracketing/35mmvs6X6
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 06:18:59 +0000

At 01:57 AM 11/2/98 +0100, you wrote:
>25 years ago when I was only a callow youth, the instructer at the
>photography evening classes I was attending took me aside and offered me
>part time work with a wedding photographer of his aqaintance. Of course I
>was flattered and jumped at the chance (being paid to indulge my new hobby?
>!!!). Of course, my first time out (with the professional) I shot with my
>Minolta SLR (50 1.4). The next week, we compared shots and I was shocked;
>even at only 10 X 8 the difference in quality compared to his 6X6 was a
>quantum leap. So I had to buy a 6X6 TLR and for the next two years, almost
>every Sat, I would be given *3* rolls of 120 Vericolour II and if I hadn't
>come back with 30+ sellable exposures every time, that would have been my
>last wedding!
>
>With only 36 exposures to work with, bracketing was only a theoretical
>concept! Every shoot was done according to the same standard formula.
>(although once, I inadvertently double exposed a bridesmade over the
>portrait of the bride. When I saw it, I was mortified, but in fact the
>costomer loved it, and we sold more reprints of that than any other!)
>
>On the one hand, it taught me discipline early; to get the exposure and
>focussing right, quickly, every time. On the other hand, in terms of film
>use, I still, even now, tend to use my M6 in the same deliberate way, and I
>lose spontaneity as a result. I sometimes think that being so constrained
>in my photographically formative years has stifled my artistic development.
>At least it's always a good excuse when you get a roll with no keepers on
>it! :)
>
>Neil Frankish

That may be the reason behind Ansel Adam's great skill.  He carried his
immense LF camera and made only a very small number of exposures.  If he
blew it, he would have to carry everything and did it all over again.  Now
that's what I call good reason for getting it right the first time.  It's
like comparing a sniper and a man behind a machine gun.   The 35mm AF
motor-driven camera is like a machine gun.

Dan K.