Subject: Re: [Leica] Black Tape
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:12:10 -0500 (EST)

Dan Post wrote:

>Nick, The gaffer tape I saw around stages seemed to be a matte black duct
>tape like tape; truly the handyman's secret weapon! As I recall, it would
>support heavy loops of cable with only one or two truns, and when is came
>of, it didn't leave goopy remnants of adhesive- great when you were spiking
>a wood stage too! Is it a special-only-to pro type thing, or do you sell to
>anybody?

Dan:

Anybody with Twenty five bucks. What I was getting at, though, was that
there are several products around being called Gaffer. There's some stuff
I've seen that's hard to rip or rips lengthwise too easily (I find duct
tape like this too). Real gaffer tape tears easily and straight across with
a good hard tug (you can never find that swiss army knife when you need
it!). Some of the off brands have black adhesive that definitely leaves
residue-beware! The brand name to look for is Permacel, but it seems like
the photo shop product (dist. by Bogen) is different from the Permacel I've
seen from movie supply houses, which is often a silver-gray, and seems to
be a heavier cloth with a rough surface.

Nick Hunter