Subject: [Leica] At last, I've been given an Oscar!
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:12:14 -0500 (EST)

A good friend of mine very generously and unexpectedly gave me a Leica
related item today. He said it had been given to him some years ago by a
dealer when he bought a new camera or lens (Leica).

It's a medal, encased in plastic, with a likeness of Oscar Barnack
inscribed "Erfinder der Leica"(inventor of the Leica) "1879 1936". On the
back is a likeness of an R4 MOT ELECTRONIC.

The R4 dates from 1979-80 and "electronic" only appeared on the early
models (or so says Laney). This plus the dates lead me to believe it is a
Barnack centeniary commemorative.

I assume it is neither rare nor valuable, but it is nice to receive a medal
for one's accomplishments, and an Oscar, no less!  :)  <bg>

Can anyone tell me any more about it? TIA

Nick Hunter