Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: New M Tri lens - "Retrogressive?"
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:01:47 +0000

Erwin,

> consider every medium format camera hopeless out of times and unworthy of
> any place in this high speed world.

In a lot of ways, they are. Medium format is not commonly used in many
photographic specialties because it isn't (for the most part) fast enough. I can't think
of the last time I saw candid, nightime street photography done with a medium
format. A quiet MF with fast lenses, and some faster film choices would change that.

> BTW: Leica never officially denied any of the items mentioned (TriElmar.
> M6Tele or M6Wide).

Amatuer Photographer, a British weekly photo magazine, published a LUG-sourced
rumor list of the M6T,M6W and M6E (as well as the Tri Elmar and R9AF). Leica,
officially and tersely, denied all in a letter to the editor published a few weeks later.

> No industry I know of has this very peculiar Leica thread of continally
> generating rumours about new products.
> Why does nobody ask for a Contax G3 or a Contax AX2 or RTS IV.

Were there a Contax list, the RTS4 is all you'ld be reading about. I was told that
there is a rumored G3 just yesterday (though I'm not ready to believe it). As for the
AX, I doubt that it sells well enough for an update.

Leica hasn't put as much serious concentration into filling out the M line in years
and I think alot of the excitement is being generated by quiet wishes finally coming
true. The HM is great to see and I, for one, want one. I would rather though, have
an M6E. How about an M6E-HM?

Danny Gonzalez