Subject: Re: [Leica] OFF TOPIC: Advice on Computer
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:52:53 -0800

At 07:00 PM 2/11/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello Luggers,
>
>I recently purchased a computer for the purpose of getting into the "digital
>darkroom", as well as general use.  I am having second thoughts about my
>purchase and I would like to hear what those of you who are digitally
>manipulating Leica images, think.  The computer I bought was a DELL, 300MHz,
>Pentium II, 64MB RAM, 8.4GB HD, 8MG Video Board.  The monitor is a 1200HS,
>17.9" Viewable Image, DP .26, and a max reolution of 1600x1200.   The printer
>is an Epson Photo Stylus.  These numbers do not mean a whole lot to me, but
>I'm thinking they probably do to many of you.
>
>I don't want to wake up Saturday morning wishing that I had sent my box of
>Pentium chips back to the factory.  Any advice that can be offered by Friday
>would sure be appreciated by this 'ole lugger.  TIA!
>
>Norman
>BERINGIA

Norman,

Your machine should do just fine for digital work. With one exception. You
do not have nearly enough memory. Think about at least 128meg, better yet,
256meg. Photoshop will use disk as swap memory when manipulating pixels if
you don't have enough ram. This is real S-L-O-W. Memory is cheap. 32meg for
$60. The best improvement investment you can make. Also, the ads for
various processors and their speeds are misleading. Remember, it's
advertising. Windows NT and a 300mhz pentium, and plenty of memory, will
run photoshop at light speed.

Jim

ps... your HD, video card, printer, and monitor, are great. You'll have fun.