Subject: Re: [Leica] OFF TOPIC: Advice on Computer
From: Bill Barrett <barrettb@dialup.websteruniv.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 23:33:44

Norman,

I am sorry to realize that the Mac/PC wars may soon break out on our
beloved LUG. I truely hope this post doesn't hasten them, because they are
completely fruitless.

I teach photography and digital imaging, and I daily use both Mac and Win95
machines. I use Adobe Photoshop on both platforms, and it is the same
program. I trade Photoshop (and other) files between platforms, and they
work fine on both. (There are of course some cross-platform issues, but it
isn't very difficult to get either machine to read, write, and format the
other's disks.) If you run into trouble with either, I'd be happy to try to
help (by private email, preferably, since this is after all the LUG).

I am firmly convinced that the best system is the one you are most
comfortable with, and perhaps the one for which you already have
software/peripherals/someone to help you. Not that many years ago,
Macintosh had a near monopoly on the graphics world. While it still has a
70% (and slipping) majority, the real differences between platforms are
eroding fast. Both work fine, neither is perfect. "Best," "fastest," and
other superlatives are only important if you have that supreme chip... and
next week there will be several faster, and most of us aren't going to
scrap what we have now to get the latest miracle machine, even though
whatever you buy is obsoelete between ordering and delivery. In general,
though perhaps not in every instance, you will often find you can get more
machine for your money with a PC-compatible box than with Mac. I only
consider that relevant if you really have no preference, experience, or
prior investment.

Here I feel I would ask a slightly different question. If you have any
concerns, from what I understand, it might be with the Dell brand. I have
been told -- I am not sure -- that Dell does not use completely standard
parts, and upgrading memory or drives may require you to buy from them.
Sounds like you have not had the best experience in the world with that
company to start off. Can anyone speak to that issue?

I'm off to PMA in New Orleans, so if the flames hit between now and Sunday
you'd better aim to the south.

good luck!
Bill

At 07:00 PM 2/11/98 -0800, Norman wrote:
>I recently purchased a computer for the purpose of getting into the "digital
>darkroom", as well as general use.  I am having second thoughts about my
>purchase and I would like to hear what those of you who are digitally
>manipulating Leica images, think.  The computer I bought was a DELL, 300MHz,
>Pentium II, 64MB RAM, 8.4GB HD, 8MG Video Board.  The monitor is a 1200HS,
>17.9" Viewable Image, DP .26, and a max reolution of 1600x1200.   The printer
>is an Epson Photo Stylus.  <snip>
>I have noticed that most (it seems, anyway) of you are MACnuts.  I am
>wondering if this computer will produce the results (when I get the full
Photo Adobe Photo program) that are comparable to those of the Macs?
<snip>
 But a friend of mine
>has been insisting that I have chosen the wrong paltform (PC) to play with
>digital images.  And I read a thread yesterday that said something to the
>effect that the PowerMac G3s eat Pentium chips for breakfast!

Bill Barrett
St. Louis
barrettb@webster.edu (preferred address for personal mail)
http://www.webster.edu/~barrettb