Subject: Re: [Leica] OFF TOPIC: Advice on Computer
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:14:30 -0500

At 07:00 PM 2/11/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello Luggers,
>
>I recently purchased a computer for the purpose of getting into the "digital
>darkroom", as well as general use.  I am having second thoughts about my
>purchase and I would like to hear what those of you who are digitally
>manipulating Leica images, think.  The computer I bought was a DELL, 300MHz,
>Pentium II, 64MB RAM, 8.4GB HD, 8MG Video Board.  The monitor is a 1200HS,
>17.9" Viewable Image, DP .26, and a max reolution of 1600x1200.   The printer
>is an Epson Photo Stylus.  These numbers do not mean a whole lot to me, but
>I'm thinking they probably do to many of you.

Norman,

I have almost exaclty the same setup except I have 128MB RAM and a 19"
monitor - both of which really help with Photoshop.  Dell has had great
support and I don't regret my choice.  I have had some problems with
programs crashing and losing information.  Just be sure to buy Norton
CrashGuard and back up everything.    I made the decision to go with PC's
because they are cheaper and I can spend more on my Leicas!  Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>