Subject: Re: [Leica] OFF TOPIC: Advice on Computer
From: Lucien_vD <Lucien_vD@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:51:16 -0500

- --------------- Forwarded Message ---------------

From:   Jim Brick, INTERNET:jim@brick.org
To:     Lucien_vD  , 100774,527
Date:   Jeu 12 F=E9v 1998, 17:18

RE:     Re: [Leica] OFF TOPIC: Advice on Computer

Sender: jim@brick.org
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 08:16:17 -0800
To: Lucien_vD@compuserve.com
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>

At 07:00 PM 2/11/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello Luggers,
>
>I recently purchased a computer for the purpose of getting into the
"digital
>darkroom", as well as general use.  I am having second thoughts about my=

>purchase and I would like to hear what those of you who are digitally
>manipulating Leica images, think.  The computer I bought was a DELL,
300MHz,
>Pentium II, 64MB RAM, 8.4GB HD, 8MG Video Board.  The monitor is a 1200H=
S,
>17.9" Viewable Image, DP .26, and a max reolution of 1600x1200.   The
printer
>is an Epson Photo Stylus.  These numbers do not mean a whole lot to me,
but
>I'm thinking they probably do to many of you. =

>I don't want to wake up Saturday morning wishing that I had sent my box =
of
>Pentium chips back to the factory.  Any advice that can be offered by
Friday
>would sure be appreciated by this 'ole lugger.  TIA!
>
>Norman =

>BERINGIA

Norman,

Your machine should do just fine for digital work. With one exception. Yo=
do not have nearly enough memory. Think about at least 128meg, better yet=
,
256meg. Photoshop will use disk as swap memory when manipulating pixels i=
you don't have enough ram. This is real S-L-O-W. Memory is cheap. 32meg f=
or
$60. The best improvement investment you can make. Also, the ads for
various processors and their speeds are misleading. Remember, it's
advertising. Windows NT and a 300mhz pentium, and plenty of memory, will
run photoshop at light speed.

Jim

ps... your HD, video card, printer, and monitor, are great. You'll have
fun. =