Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 wish lists
From: Paul vanPeenen <paddler@istar.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 08:51:16 -0800

Dear luggers,

It's been interesting reading all the posts on the mythical m7. I already
have one. It's called an EOS1n

I just got my first m6 yesterday. Up until now I've been using an m4-p (now
owned by someone on the lug) and an m4-2-3 (yes, an m4-2 with an m3 finder).

Recently, fellow lugger Tom Abrahamsson and I were discussing camera use
and I told him I wanted an m6 so I had to sell my m4-p because financially
I couldn't carry the load. He graciously leant me one of his m6 bodies and
said: "Try one for a while and see how you like it." (I'll return it this
weekend, Tom)

I can finally put my handheld meter away. Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it changed the way I use the m's. That expensive lightmeter was like
an epiphany, much like it must have been for others when the people at
Solms first started producing the m5 and then the m6.

Let's not forget that cameras with built-in lightmeters had been around for
a very long time before Leica came out with one in the rangefinder. That
certainly didn't make the m6 obsolete when it came out.

Sure a new and better rangefinder is on the horizon in Solms but I probably
won't need one for automatic exposure or faster shutterspeeds. The speeds I
shoot at range from 1/8th to 1/60th. Rarely do I go beyond those because of
the quality of available darkness I like to work in.

Faster flash synch? What is that? I didn't know you were allowed to use a
flash with a leica. I thought the hotshoe was for the 21 finder and those
terminals on the back were there so you could lose the little black caps
that came with the camera.

I'm looking at my chrome m6 and I'm very pleased about its features and how
it fits together. I got it for a great price and I'm tickled. So, please,
let's leave well enough alone. I have another dilemma on my hands. I've
found a 75 summilux that's probably only exposed a few rolls and I should
really buy it but that would really kill me financially.

Oh, and by the way, Tom K., I do use mine every day working for a
newspaper. I have Eos1n's for the sports and to use with lighting set-ups
etc., but the leicas are always around my neck and I grab shots with them
all day long and I do many of my portaiture assignments with  them because
it allows me to keep talking to the subject without having the bulk of an
eos1 and a huge lens in between us.

Cheers, Pv

Paul vanPeenen and Liz van'terve
paddler@istar.ca