Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 Fantasies
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 02:52:19 -0500

Hi Tom,

<<<<I don't want to know there's an electronic shutter in there, I want the
exact speeds that only an electronic shutter can give.>>>>>

The problem with the electronic stuff and I realize this sounds stupid, but
they require batteries, just as the R8 and the other electronic battery
driven cameras. And as I write this, it sounds even dumber to be objecting
to changes in the M camera to an electronic shutter because it would
require batteries! :)

However what makes it so distinct is that it only requires the human thumb
and fingers to drive it in any kind of weather and temperatures for ever
and ever, well almost!

I had my M6's checked last fall by Eric Hartmann of Leica during the leica
seminar when he checks and services members cameras. Mine without any
servicing since 1985 were right on the mark! Which to me was no surprise.

<<<<I want the meter to work the exact same way, but with a small chip in
the body that allows it to read a matrix pattern, even if I have to adjust
it myself.>>>>>>

I figure as long as they can put an upgraded meter without changing the
external configuration, then I don't have a problem. I'm always amazed at
how well the metering presently installed functions as it does.
Although I rarely shoot colour in the M6 unless I'm doing it with the
Noctilux in low light, where I still just use the internal meter and when
those little red arrowheads come on I press "go" :) And I get proper
exposures.

I guess under certain lighting / subject situations matrix readings are an
advantage, but even with the R8 I rarely use it. Prefering spt or integral.

But that's just how one photgrapher works and uses his equipment and like I
said, any changes made that are truly advantageous and do not change the
camera body configuration I don't really have a problem.

<<<I don't want a Leica MZ23. I want the M7, a small subtle change that
adds a few modern improvements to the already great camera.>>>>>>

Tom, you know what I think has got this thread completely out of whack?
It's "too many cooks!" :)  We all and certainly including myself jump up
and down when we start to see all these suggestions to change an extremely
remarkable machine, which certainly in my case has served me very well!

It was like everybody was jumping to make changes and comparing to the G
whtever and it made a bunch of us just say, "Whoa here! Why the hell do you
want to mess with my child?"  Maybe some of us will feel like that about
thr R8 some day. :)

I grant you that there probably is an improvement or two that could be made
to the M6 and they have made one with the new version in the viewfinder.
However I've never had any hankering to see changes made in it, simply
because it's right there with me and has never failed me any time.

So it just hasn't ever occured to me anyone would want to change it.

But you've made valid suggestions and I can see the value in them as long
as there isn't any physical body changes.  Leica may well have all these
things in the mill and being tested. Certainly with the miniture
electronics of to-day I imagine a meter change could be very easily made
and if we weren't told, we'd never know until we looked in the view finder.

Now that's the kind of changes I think many could live with. But making the
shutter electronic, regardless of what I said earlier about the R8 and all
other battery driven shutters, I'd have a major problem with that.

Simply because at this point, they'll run from now till the next century
with nothing more than a flick of the thumb or a pull on the leaver of a
Rapidwinder. I can still shoot and have control over the exposures,
batteries or no!

This thread for all intense and purpose is now at a point of flogging a
dead horse beyond death and I might suggest we should all move on to other
things.

ted