Subject: Re: [Leica] R series entry level.
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 22:24:26 +0000

From both casual observations of pricing and personal experience,
something in the R4 family may be be most economical way to try out
the R system. The personal experience comes from the acquisition of
an R4 outfit (body with 35/2.8 and 90/2.8 originally, 60/2.8 recetnly
added) late last year.  I personally regard the camera body in this case is
just a support system for the lenses and am truly impressed with
what's been coming out of the R glass.

There was a discussion here a while back about problems inherent in
the electronics of the early production run of the R4.

You won't get a removeable prism with any R; that's why I'm keeping
the Nikon F3 for copy work. And the flash sync is 1/100th which makes
fill flash outdoors bothersome.

You'll need 3-cam or R-cam lenses for the bodies you're
contemplating.

On 16 Feb 98 at 1:19, David Morton wrote:

> I was thinking about giving the R series a try, but I'm not sure
> which model to choose as an experiment.
>
> I don't want to spend too much money (I suspect I won't like the
> fixed prism), so a new body is out of the question.
>
> I was wondering about the R4S. What do people recommend as a 'way
> in'?
>
> *IF* I like it, I think I'd be heading off towards a pair of R6.2 or
> R8 bodies. If this is the final destination, how many cams should my
> lenses have? What's the difference between the R6 and the R6.2 and
> what do R6 bodies sell for s/h?
>
>             David Morton  |  Please don't tell my mother I'm a
>             journalist,
> dmorton@journalist.co.uk  |  She thinks I have a respectable job
> playing
>      (+44) 171 272 8908   |  the piano in a brothel.

   Roy C. Zartarian
   http://www.connix.com/~royzart
   "A prophet is not without honor except in his
    own land and among his own people"

Written with the assistance of a labrador retriever whose chin is on the key board. All typos are his fault.