Subject: Re: [Leica] R series entry level.
From: Steve Hickel <smhickel@x2.alliance.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 23:43:03 -0500

Hi all,

Correct me if I am wrong, any two cam lens will work on an R4 or R4s etc,
but metering through the lens requires stopping down the lens with the DOF
preview lever to get a correct exposure. That makes a Cam 2 lens a very
useful and inexpensive alternative if you have enough time to figure an
exposure ahead of time and use manual mode. PLUS the cost of a 3-cam
upgrade is between 125 and 200.

Steve

At 10:24 PM 2/15/98 +0000, you wrote:
>>From both casual observations of pricing and personal experience,
>something in the R4 family may be be most economical way to try out
>the R system. The personal experience comes from the acquisition of
>an R4 outfit (body with 35/2.8 and 90/2.8 originally, 60/2.8 recetnly
>added) late last year.  I personally regard the camera body in this case is
>just a support system for the lenses and am truly impressed with
>what's been coming out of the R glass.
>
>There was a discussion here a while back about problems inherent in
>the electronics of the early production run of the R4.
>
>You won't get a removeable prism with any R; that's why I'm keeping
>the Nikon F3 for copy work. And the flash sync is 1/100th which makes
>fill flash outdoors bothersome.
>
>You'll need 3-cam or R-cam lenses for the bodies you're
>contemplating.
>
>On 16 Feb 98 at 1:19, David Morton wrote:
>
>> I was thinking about giving the R series a try, but I'm not sure
>> which model to choose as an experiment.
>>
>> I don't want to spend too much money (I suspect I won't like the
>> fixed prism), so a new body is out of the question.
>>
>> I was wondering about the R4S. What do people recommend as a 'way
>> in'?
>>
>> *IF* I like it, I think I'd be heading off towards a pair of R6.2 or
>> R8 bodies. If this is the final destination, how many cams should my
>> lenses have? What's the difference between the R6 and the R6.2 and
>> what do R6 bodies sell for s/h?
>>
>>             David Morton  |  Please don't tell my mother I'm a
>>             journalist,
>> dmorton@journalist.co.uk  |  She thinks I have a respectable job
>> playing
>>      (+44) 171 272 8908   |  the piano in a brothel.
>>
>   Roy C. Zartarian
>   http://www.connix.com/~royzart
>   "A prophet is not without honor except in his
>    own land and among his own people"
>
>Written with the assistance of a labrador retriever whose chin is on the
key board. All typos are his fault.