Subject: Re: [Leica] Saving Leica (from Solms)
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 21:05:11 -0800

Harrison McClary wrote:

> Stephen wrote
>
> >1)  Produce Leica R lenses in Canon EOS and Nikon manual focus
> mounts.
>
> I don't think any manual lens would work very well on an EOS since ALL
> of
> the lenses aperture ect are controlled by the body.  Leica would have
> redesign the lens to handle these capabilities, also the EOS line has
> very dark viewfinders, not at all friendly to manual focus.  In my
> experience at least.

The point is to sell product, and I doubt if anyone has more camera
bodies out there than Canon. .  Leica would have to design nothing, just
basically copy EOS designs under license.   If Tamron and Sigma can
mount their manual glass in EOS mount, Leica should be able to.  You do
have a point though, it could prove too much for Solms.

> >In the US Leica is suffering an identity crises among the rank and
> file
> >photog.  Say "Leica" and many will give you a blank look and reply
> "Like
> >a what?"
>
> Funny, but I have not run into this.  Most photographers I meet are
> somewhat jealous that I am shooting Leica.  They all know what it is
> and
> the reputation the lenses have.  Admittedly most of them have no ideas
> of
> the capabilities of the R8 and upon hearing of what it can do they are
>
> very impressed.

Obviously Leica is well known amongst experienced photogs.  But most
photogs aren't experienced.     Something is wrong with the picture when
both Canon and Nikon are probably selling more cameras in a week than
Leica does in a year.

> >Horror stories of four to six week repairs are common.  There is
> really
> >no reason why a world class camera company should be run this
> way--into
> >the ground.    Maximum turn around should be two weeks, with a one
> week
> >not unusual.
>
> Unless things have changed at other repair shops this is pretty normal
>
> for standard turn around times.  I know when I send in a camera for a
> non-pro friend it is 4-6 weeks for the repair, if I send a camera of
> mine
> and get the pro rush it is 48 hours.  I have had the same experience
> with
> Canon, Nikon and Leica equipment repair times.

We are consumers.  We spend money.   It is a competitive market.  Just
today on the radio in Los Angeles, Ricoh, of all people, was advertising
their customer service and the great lengths they have gone to to please
their customers.     Just because other brands can also give slow
service, doesn't mean we have to accept it.   Someplace there is a voice
on the Solms board which is saying "Don't worry about the repair
turnaround.  We don't have to go  to the extra expense of adding new
people.  We have them trained to expect 4-6 week repairs!"   As
consumers we deserve more, to complain until there is a voice on the
Board saying "But Sir, I don't think they are going to take this any
more!"

> >Then there is the question of competency.  A friend of mine bought a
> >black M2.  It was his first, and he was very proud of it.  It needed
> >shutter overhaul, so he asked me who to send it to.  I recommended  a
>
> >local repairman who would have done a great job within two weeks.
> Well,
> >he wanted it done "right" and was willing to pay the bill.  So off to
>
> >Leica's repairmen in NY.  8 weeks later he gets it back, at over
> double
> >the price he could have paid locally.  There was just one small
> >problem.  The elves in NY had substituted nice new shiny chrome
> screws
> >for the ugly old black enamel screws  his M2 should have.  No prob he
>
> >thought,  just send it back and get the right ones.  Surprise!  They
> >don't have them.
>
> Hmmmm......what would Nikon say if he sent in an F for a complete
> overhaul, or Canon if he sent in an FTB, or old F1.  I know I called
> Canon about repair on an FD 600 4.5 lens - much more expensive than
> any
> body they made, and they said they no longer worked on them, so now it
> is
> on the way to a friend of Donal's and I am hoping he can work magic on
>
> this very nice piece of glass that is now little more than a paper
> weight, because Canon has turned their back on it.

Leica assured my friend before the camera was sent in that the repair
would be done perfectly.  They make it standard policy to repair all M
cameras.   They said they could, and couldn't.

> >6) Lower the price of R8 and M6 bodies to sell the lenses and
> >accessories.
> >
> >Sell the bodies at cost to get people into the system.   It keeps
> your
> >factory employed and will pay off in the long run.
>
> People are always talking about how terribly expensive Leica is, but
> the
> pro line of Nikon and Canon is not that much cheaper.  Leica just does
>
> not offer cheap plastic cameras like the EOS rebel and Nikon N70.  Yes
>
> Leica is somewhat more, but everything is on par, or better than the
> best
> the others make.  Plus the Leica stuff is made to last and they stand
> behind products made decades ago.  Everyone is always asking about the
>
> cams on the R lenses and how much it costs to get a 1 cam lens 3
> cammed.
> Just try getting a Canon FD lens converted to EOS...HA what a funny
> joke
> the repair shop will tell you!

You missed the point  on this one.  It has nothing to do with the
price.  It's a part of a larger overall marketing plant  to get  more
people into the Leica system to sell more of the profit heavy lenses and
accessories and so gain higher profitability overall.

> Leica is not for everyone, just as the EOS is not for everyone, nor is
>
> Nikon, or your brand of choice. I really don't understand all of this
> bashing of Leica over a few reported problems.  I used to work at a
> daily
> newspaper in Atlanta with a staff of 5 photographers.  Of the 5, 4 of
> us
> had the "new" F4 and ALL of us had to send the camera back at least
> once
> (one guy 3 times) in the first year for mechanical problems.  That is
> bad case of quality control.  Every company is going to have a few
> lemons, it simply can't be helped.  Yes there have been several
> complaints on the LUG, but how many subscribers are there?  If quality
>
> control was horrible I guarantee there would be nothing but complaints
> on
> this list.

> Harrison McClary

Leica likes to claim that it is the best.  It has long had that
reputation.  Leica photogs like to tell other photogs that it is the
best.   Comparing Leica to other lower standards only lowers the
standards of Leica, of Solms, and of its customers.     It doesn't make
any sense to claim that "Leica is the best, but judge  us by lower than
the highest standards."     As a consumer, when you paid those extra
dollars for "Leica Quality,"  you entitled yourself to it.    Not
demanding for  the excellence that Leica is charging for is a big
mistake as far as I can see it.    Leica quality control didn't used to
be this shoddy, and it shouldn't be this shoddy now,  as far as I am
concerned.

Stephen Gandy