Subject: Re: [Leica] CL Profitability
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 11:37:18 -0800

>  Art,

I am not sure of what happened, either, it's just that Leica's official
story of the CL being a commercial failure heavily contradicts the
serial range info which has been released so far.  I'm asking for CL
serial #'s (all three variants, the Leica, the Leitz-Minolta, the
Minolta) at my site. Eventually I should have enough info to be
relatively sure of production figures.

A lot may have had to do with timing, and how the CL compared to the
M5.  Before the M5 in 1971, no Leica had TTL metering.  A lot of people
complained about the M5's larger size, and then the ultra small CL was
introduced in 1973.   The M5 was discontinued in 1975.  The CL
apparently continued into production through 1976.   It was not until
1978 that the M4-2 went back into limited production with only 2100
cameras being produced.

Presumably a lot of people   wanted a smaller Leica even before the M5
was introduced.  The passing of the smaller LTM bodies was long
lamented.  With a pent up demand not only for a small camera, but a TTL
Leica, the CL was relatively popular.  In contrast, the M5 was not at
the time

The guess is that with a limited market which depended upon long term
professional capabilities, Leica chose to retire the CL in order to
regain M line sales.   They eventually did that.   I agree this scenario
is  not common  business move, but it may have happened--or maybe not.

One of the better things about the LUG is that it allows us to discuss
all aspects of Leica, and also allows for honest disagreements and
different  interpretations.

Regards,

Stephen