Subject: Re: [Leica] CL Profitability
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 12:37:44 -0500

     Stephen,

     Yes, I'd like to see a better explanation of the CL's demise too (as
     it might lend a bit of substance to my hope that the CL would return
     to the market), but as I said in my original e-mail, I don't have one.

     I am about as far from an expert in these matters as one could find,
     and I certainly was not questioning your production figures for either
     the CL or the M5.  I simply cannot believe the scenario you suggested
     based (presumably) on those production figures, since it would require
     Leica to have made an unbelievably bad business decision that flew in
     the face of basic economic sense.  But I suppose anything is possible,
     and since this is all speculation, I cannot claim to really know.

     I did not mean to label the M5 "unpopular" (and neither do I now mean
     to suggest that it was not unpopular); you know the sales figures, not
     I, and I'd leave it to you or someone else to describe its popularity.
     When I said that "You don't kill your hot sellers in order to protect
     unpopular products," I was merely making a general business statement,
     and I guess "unpopular" was too conclusive a word.  Perhaps it would
     have been better to say, "You don't kill your hot sellers in order to
     protect your poor sellers," or something like that.

     However I continue to find some of you argument unconvincing.  You say
     below that "the CL was not a professional level camera" (and as a non-
     professional camera user, I would not question that assessment), but
     then in the very next paragraph you assert that CL sales "probably did
     eat into M sales severely" (the M clearly being a professional level
     camera).  And you add, "the entire future of the Leica Rangefinder
     System was threatened," but it's hard to see why, since even if the M5
     went out of production (which it did), the CL was still a rangefinder
     camera that accepted most of the lenses in the Leica M system.  And if
     "M series production actually stopped for three years between 1976 and
     1977, due to the fact new M5's went unsold...[because]...the market
     was temporarily saturated," then why was that market still buying so
     many CLs?"  Or conversely, if the M5 and CL sold to different markets
     (professional vs. non-professional), than how could the CL sales "eat
     into M sales severely?"

     Perhaps the problem was not that it was "VERY hard for Leica to sell
     it's M5's...competing with the CL."  Perhaps the M5 was inherently
     problematic.  Perhaps if "Unsold new M5's were still on dealer shelves
     five years after the camera's demise," it was because professional and
     other photographers wanted a smaller, lighter, and more convenient
     rangefinder camera, like the M4 that the M5 superseded, or the M4-2
     that Leica reverted to after the M5 and has essentially continued with
     through the M6 and M6HM of today, so that only in the absence of an M4
     type camera, did many of those photographers buy the CL (in addition,
     of course, to the photographers who would have bought the CL anyway).

     But again, I don't really know.  So let me conclude by saying that I
     raise these questions and make these speculations NOT in a contention
     that I'm right and you're wrong, but ONLY as an offering of "food for
     thought" in the interest of constructive dialog where I have doubts.

     Art Peterson