Subject: Re: [Leica]"Leica's demise"
From: Duncan Young <dunk@mincom.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:43:03 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Paul vanPeenen wrote:

> Hi Lugnuts,
>
> Just a note of interest. Today, I caught bits and pieces of an interview on
> CBC radio, Canada's public radio, about what goes on the corporate
> boardrooms across the world and the sports analogies that abound in those
> environs, especially in north america.
>
> Anyway, all the insignificant details aside, the gentleman being
> interviewed related how "...Canon, the photocopier company, had a motto
> that was 'kill Leica'" as a motivator in the upper echelons of the company.
> He then went on to say that Leica is now a small company with sales in the
> millions while Canon has gone on to become a corporate giant with sales in
> the billions.

This was how Canon started in post war japan, competeing directly with Leica
rangfinders.  They are still an inovative company prepared to take risks
( EOS lenses with completely electronic connections to the lens is a
remarkable step in the generally conservative camera business ) but I doubt
that their primary motivation is still to destry Leica.

There was an artical in Time magazine about Canon which I read a few weeks
ago, which detailed all this kind of stuff.  Aparently they have a huge R&D
section and continuously bring out new patents etc.  Avoiding lens quality
issues, they do have USM, Tilt and shift lenses, completely electronic
interfaces to their lenses, eye controled focusing, Image stabilising
technology, fixed pelical mirrors etc.  In other words they do add new
technology to the photographic industry.  As to how wonderfull it all is,
I'll leave that up to the individual to decide.

    Duncan