Subject: Re: [Leica] M lenses on CL
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 11:56:26 +0000

The following post is a reply I archived, to a post I'd made on CL compatibility with
M lenses. Upshot is that the 35mm 'crons have a protruding rear mount ring that
binds on the CL (the old 35 'lux will mount fine). The lens can be used if this is
removed or filed down. Here's the post:

Danny Gonzalez wrote:

" I recently had a conversation with a man (named H. Cummer) about the M
lens compatibility of the CL/CLE cameras. The upshot was that most M lens
work fine, with a few that don't.

The CLE can mount and focus the 21, while the CL's can't (meter cell's
 semaphore arm blocks mounting).

The 50 1.4 Summilux blocks the secondary RF window at close focus.

The 35/2 Summicron and 35 1.4 S'lux (as well as the current ASPH) won't
mount on either the CL or CLE.

The first version Asphercal 35 1.4 works fine on a CLE (No CL experience)

The 28's from version II to current, work fine on both cameras (no 28
 framelines in CL)

The 50/2 works fine on both.

 The 75 1.4 doesn't work (blocks both view and RF windows), but will mount.
 Ditto the 90/2.

The 90 2.8 Tele-Elmarit and Tele-Elmarit-M both work very well. The newer
 Elmarit may be too large, but no experience to back that.

 Any body else care to fill in the holes here?

 Danny Gonzalez"

The 35mm/1.4 Summilux will mount on the CL but not the CLE.  Although
there are no frame lines for this focal length in the CL, it's fairly
easy to "quesstimate", and works fine.  Some other lenses such as the
50mm DR Summicron will also not mount on the CLE because the meter
interferes with the rear projection of the lens.