Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: equipment lists
From: Don Bledsoe <drbledsoe@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:44:03 -0800 (PST)

- ---"Andrew M. Moore" <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

>> I agree with the guy -- I too just joined the list, and I'm a
little put off by the "here's what *I* have" mentality.<<

Is it possible that you and Chandos are misunderstanding the intent of
the equipment roll call?  You both seem to view it as a chance at
"bragging rights" when it was never intended as such.

Personally I find the listing quite helpful.  I like to try  different
things Leica in my search for what will work best for me.  It helps
when I know who has what and how much experience they have with it
should I wish to ask detailed questions about the item (without taking
up LUG bandwidth).  In other words, it helps me go right to the source
on things (which was the reason for me asking that folks include their
favorite films).

I now have a couple of side conversations going that have proved
beneficial to me but may have been uninteresting or rather too basic
to other more experienced LUGgers.

>>I'm glad I have the option to not read it :<<

This, I think, is the best approach.  I also think that Chandos did
come on a bit strong at first.  I know Chandos from a previous dealing
and my experience is that he is a knowledgeable, friendly, polite, and
honest person.  Still, even I was a bit taken back by his opening
remarks.

There really is so much more to the LUG than a day, a week, or even a
month of reading can reveal.  Use the delete key as necessary but I
encourage both to stick around for a while before unplugging.

Don Bledsoe
Boise, Idaho