Subject: [Leica] M6 HMF User Report ( Long )
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 08:55:58 -0800

I have received my new camera, with accompanying boos from my better
half....

The camera is a standard Black M6.  No noticeable difference in shutter
release feel, VF brightness, camera finish or instruction manual. Engraving
is straight M6.
There is a supplement for the M6 instruction booklet, but to say the least,
it is not much.
No Dessicant was packed with the camera and the box was not sealed with
tape.
Camera was shipped with the shutter set to B.  Battery was in the box, not
in the camera.
The Ordering number is 10 413.
S/N is 242384
Engraving on back below Speed Dial says: "LEICA CAMERA GMBH" underneath
this, "Made in GERMANY"
Gaudy red dot, gaudy Leica M6 on front, no gaffers tape supplied to mask
out.
On the box is in part the following: "Verk. Nr. 104136" which may mean the
6th run of this product # 10413... comments?
VF Preselector frames: 35 and 135 move lever to the outside
                                   90MM Lever towards lens
                                   50 and 75 Lever centered.
No Corners on VF for 35, 90, 50 MM Frame Lines

Impressions and opinions:
The VF image is just about OK to have both eyes open during use.  I was
hoping for a M3 replacement( 0.91), and this comes real close.  I learned
to shoot with a Contax RF camera, and to keep both eyes open during
shooting so that I can see what is out of the framing.  The M3 and M6HMF
allow me to do this, the M2, M4, and M6 will not.

Change in Magnification is really too small to discriminate with only 1 eye
open.... not a big deal.

The 35MM frame lines are not possible to see with glasses.  You need to
move the eye.  Without glasses it is still a tight fit.

Shutter release feels like my older M6 (216XXXX) which is a bit "tighter"
than my user M3 ( 11XXXXX)... will this wear in?

If I were to guess, this model is NOT an evolutionary model.  It fits a
niche for the user of the 50-90 duo.  It is too difficult to see the 35
framing even witout glasses, and the standard M6 is a better fit for the
35-50-90 trio.   I have not commented on the 135 lens.

Why was it produced when the ergonomics are really awkward?  Does anyone
with an M6HMF also have access to a Noctilux to see the fit on this combo?

Conclusion:  Don't get all frothed up, this camera is nice but not a big
deal.... and it is very much a niche camera.   For even the small
difference of $100, think twice:I wouldn't bother.... unless you are a 2
eye open type like me, or use the 50-90 combo only.  If you wear glasses,
think 3 times....

For Sale.... Leica M6.....Wife forces sale or divorce..... email for
details.

Thank You
Remove "ZZ" form auto reply address or
please reply to address below: